Monday, January 12, 2009

My Pick of The Globes Dresses (in no particular order)













So the Golden Globes this year were very, very star studded. Trying to pick my favourite red-carpet outfits has been pretty hard, as so many actresses pulled out all the stops and went super glam. I am in dress envy heaven.
From my shortlist above I can deduce that
1. I am loving what Galliano is doing at Dior at the moment. He has created stunning couture gowns this season and obviously Hollywood agrees as Eva Mendes, Demi Moore, Sandra Bullock and DrewBarrymore are all wearing Dior (and don't you love the new Dior ad with Marion Cottillard on top of the Eiffel Tower?).
2. Asymmetrical gowns, folds and draping and muted colours are all the rage. I love all three, if done right.
3. I've noticed that a lot of the ladies wore some gorgeous necklaces which is nice to see as I noticed the bling jewellery was rather hidden away on the red carpet in 2008. Fash mag slags will probably be able to find some correlation with economic downturns and flashy gorgeous jewels, but I can't be bothered. I'm going to put it down to coincidence.
I tried not to read too many online commentaries before coming up with my hitlist as I didn't want to be swayed by the so-called experts, but I couldn't help notice that Cameron Diaz's choice had already made it onto a lot of the worst dressed lists. Personally I love her choice and I hope I'm not being blindsided by my obsessive love of all things pink. Cameron always makes unusual red-carpet choices and tends to prefer sassy, girly numbers and I've got to say they are almost always working for me. This deconstructed Chanel dress really complements her lean, lovely figure and her hair and make-up makes her look super sexy. I also love the ring, the hot shoes and the gorgeous Edwardian style buttons down the back of the dress. Pooh to the experts.
Amy Adams black Oscar de la Renta is a little bit Italian widow and a whole lot of simply gorgeous. She's wearing it well.
Drew Barrymore has blown my mind with her choice. Her taste can be a little hit and miss but either her, or her stylist, really hit the mark this year. How gorgeous is her Brigitte Bardot-esque hair and equally retro make-up? The sexy off-the-shoulder sleeves and movement of the unusual fish-tail make this dress something really special. I adore her bracelet too. Sigh.
Demi Moore is rocking the popular nude look and of all the stars who went with this palette, she suits it to a tee. I think the nice tan helps. I am really drawn to this dress because of the cross-over straps on the bodice. Plus she looks sexy and age-appropriate. No-one could ever accuse Demi of looking mumsy.
Sandra Bullock comes a close second to Demi in her Dior dress which embraces the asymmetrical look, which according to the holy fashion bible that is Vogue (debatable??) is the look for the season. I love the ra ra like fishtail on this dress.
I realise that Olivia Wilde looks like a dolie, but whatever, I like doilies. I also like belted dresses and mauve, so she's ticking three boxes for me with this outfit. Such a fairy princess dress.
My Cate didn't make an appearance at The Globes this year but most of the Aussie girls walking the red-carpet did me proud. Well done to Melissa George for looking so supremely elegant. This dress is a little bit different and the piping, feature at the bust and saucy slit really grabbed me. Her hair and make-up are also stunning. She is rocking old-Hollywood glamour with a twist here.
People are always bagging out Maggie G's fashion sense but I just had to include her here because I LOVE her and because no matter what anyone else says, I think she always looks fab. Maggie seems like a real fashion girl to me, which means that either a.) I am challenged in this area and the majority rules or b.) Maggie is an acquired taste for for the tragically clothes obsessed. Maggie gets snaps from me for wearing green and black leopard print to an awards ceremony and I think the bouffant one-shoulder is super cute. She always looks like she hasn't tried to hard and is having fun. Maggie - will you be my friend??
I probably would have included January Jones even if her Versace dress wasn't absolutely stunning because I'm completely addicted to Mad Men. I cannot wait for Series 3. I almost included Christina Hendricks - who wore a classy black strapless dress - and Elisabeth Moss - who rocked a super cute retro red dress (albeit with bad accessories) - but of the Mad Men cast January is definitely the winner. Can this girl be anymore gorgeous? The folds are super cool, the shade of blue is divine and those pockets look kind of handy. This dress manages to be modern and classic all at once.
Isla Fisher is another Aussie girl rocking a gorgeous dress. I'm not sure who the designer is for this, but this dress is great for Isla's figure and colouring. This is another sexy asymmetrical dress with an interesting detailed skirt. Isla gets definite finger snaps for this one.
I reckon some will say that Heidi Klum's dress isn't exactly appropriate for the Globes but I can't say I really care. Not only did Heidi wear vintage, she wore a vintage polka-dot balloon dress featuring an over-sized flower belt. What is not to love? Nice red lippy and hot shoes too.
Eva Mendes has been looking STUNNING on the red-carpet lately and this dress is no exception. She has worn white without looking bridal (the beautiful turquoise necklace helps), I adore the cinched waist and the falling fabric from the waistline and her hair and make-up are all perfect. This dress wouldn't have looked out of place on Marilyn Monroe.
So much to love, I dare not focus on what there was to hate. All I'm going to say is that I think Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce Knowles probably should have re-thought what they were wearing. J Lo's dress was a bit too Grammys for the Globes (i.e. too much flesh on display). I could say the same for Beyonce, whose dress was doing weird things to her boobs.
And I also wish that the vocal minority of people out there who think Angelina Jolie is a style icon (or a good actress for that matter, but now I'm being cheeky) need to take a good hard-look at Angelina's wardrobe (and maybe their own?) and realise that Angelina is NOT a fashion girl and consistently looks dull, dull, dull. Very beautiful, of course, but nonetheless dull. Her Globes dress wasn't ugly, but it wasn't interesting either, and I've certainly come to expect no more from her.
Do you agree/disagree with my choices? If I had to narrow it down even further, I'd have to say Eva Mendes, Drew Barrymore, January Jones and Amy Adams were my absolute favourites of the night. Though I might change my mind tomorrow.
And how excitement that Kate Winslet won two Globes? She is one of my favourite actresses and I can't wait to see both her new movies. Kate was on my long-list in a very elegant black number, wisely accessorised with the scrumptious and equally worthy Leo DiCaprio.

No comments: