Sunday, March 15, 2009

Everything is coming up Chanel


The Paris Fall collections were shown last week and I haven't had the time to trawl through all the designers as yet, but I did make time to check out Karl Lagerfield's latest for Chanel. Chanel is invariably one of my favourite collections, even though I never wear pant suits or little black dresses, two trends Coco Chanel has been credited with creating.
Like Karl's haute couture collection there was a lot of black and white, interspersed with some mint green and baby pink, as above. I love the pink woollen tights - I hope someone rips these off as I desperately want a pair - and love, love all the wool. The T-Bar platforms are also super cool.
Chatswood Chase shopping centre, in Sydney's north, is currently hosting an exhibition of Hollywood photographer Douglas Kirkland's photographs of Coco Chanel. Now that I'll be working north side again, I'll have to try and check it out.

Meanwhile there is a Coco Chanel biopic coming out later this year, starring none other than the amazing Audrey Tatou in the title role. I really hope this film gets a cinema release in Australia as the costumes look phenomenal. And there haven't been many films - or books, come to think of it - that explore the creative art of fashion. You can check out the French trailer here. I can't understand a word, but it looks interesting nonetheless.




No comments: