Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Vintage Costume Jewellery Joy


I finally got around to checking out the Vanity Fair monthly vintage markets in Leichhardt this past weekend http://www.timeoutsydney.com.au/aroundtown/event/vanity-fair-vintage-fashion-market.aspx. Leichhardt is a bit of a hike for me, but I'm glad I finally made the trip as they were really fantastic. They aren't a huge market - only 30 dealers in all - but there were quite a few dealers that I hadn't come across before.

I bought a fantastic 70's dress which is very on trend with the whole painterly print thing that was big last season. The dealer I bought the dress from - which she said she picked up in the US - also gave me these fab vintage clip-on earrings that I'm wearing in this photo. The petals are made of plastic of varying pastel shades. She gave me the clips as they make a nice accessory on the dress - I wore them pinned on the shoulder straps - but maybe I might actually wear them as earrings as some time. I don't have my ears pierced and I generally avoid wearing clip-on's because they tend to pinch the earlobe. There was one dealer at the Fair, however, who had a whole table full of awesome clip-on earrings. Could this open up a whole new avenue of accessorising for me? My bank balance hopes not.

The lady I bought the dress from has a shopfront in Waterloo called the Butterfield Tate Gallery and she collects vintage textiles and soft furnishings, costume jewellery, lampshades, artworks, as well as some clothes, mostly from Paris, LA and New York. Her number is 040 811 2819 if you are interested in checking her out. The small selection she had at the Fair looked really special. Unfortunately I forgot to note down her number.

For more vintage joy, The Way We Wear vintage fair is on this weekend at the Hunters Hill Town Hall in Northern Sydney.

No comments: