Sunday, August 23, 2009

50's Fair Madness

And it certainly was madness as the normally serene Rose Seidler House in sleepy Wahroonga was transformed into something resembling the flagship Topshop store on London's Oxford Street on a busy weekend.

I won't go into the various trials and tribulations I went through in getting out to Wahroonga today, except to say I left my house at 9.30am this morning and finally walked through the gates at 1pm! I was definitely wishing I still had a car, but my one consolation is that I read three quarters of the first Sookie Stackhouse book Dead Until Dark (what it is about vampires lately?) while I waited for various modes of transport.

This was the queue when I finally made it to the house. As you can see the line was long, but it was breathtaking weather and I was delighted by all the women, men, boys and girls dressed to perfection in their best 50's duds.

The stalls, with everything from dresses, handbags, kooky home wares, records, magazines and more, made my heart smile and there was a camaraderie created by being in a space with so many others with a love for last century's most stylish decade.

I loved these cupcakes with 50's icons Audrey, Elvis and Marilyn on top. They were mighty delicious too.

The end of a long journey deserves a reward and considering there was no champagne on arrival (I believe they'd even run out of water), I decided to purchase these goodies instead.

Cute raffia purse in great condition which I hope to take for a spin with my high-waisted denim shorts or new high-waisted denim skirt, bought from Marnie Skillings yesterday.


Apricot floral party dress with matching three-quarter jacket, which fits me like a glove. This was from the lovely girls at Coco Repose, one of Surry Hill's must see vintage havens. I totally don't need this dress but I also totally wanted it. It might get an outing for a friend's wedding soon (any excuse) and I reckon I can mix and match the lovely jacket with many of my other dresses and jeans too.

The girls said it was their first 50's Fair and trade certainly seemed brisk. Fingers crossed many more of their dresses found their Cinderella's today. Normally you can find them at 82 Fitzroy Street in Surry Hills, Tuesday through Sunday.

2 comments:

The Glamorous Housewife said...

Great finds! Love the purse.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

what are they wearing now said...

Looks like a great day. Just love that orange white and green striped dress hanging up in one of the stalls. Reminded me of one I had as a young girl in the late sixties.
Also I think the dress and jacket you bought absolutely beautiful.