Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Meeting of Like Minds


I enjoyed a lovely high tea today with fellow bloggers Jennifer of Pretty Little Pictures and Ellen of A Wild Tea Party. Our venue of choice was the The Victoria Room in Darlinghurst, where the fingers sandwiches were plentiful, the petit fours delicious and the staff super attentive (and very agreeable when it came to taking lots of pics of us!).

The dress I wore today was the same I recently wore to the Sydney Writers' Festival opening party. I'm a sucker for baby blue and have long coveted a dress decorated with appliques. In this instance they are lace, diamante and faux pearls.
I'm not entirely sure how old this dress is, but I suspect it could actually be 1940s; it has the trademark side zip of the era, a store label (Reich Original), but no sizing details or washing instructions.


There is a similar dress from the same label over at Posh Girl Vintage right now that has been dated as 1940s.
Thoughts?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful dress. I'd have said Fifties from the style, but maybe late Forties (I've had plenty of side zippered Fifties frocks though...)

maggie said...

i love the dress. powder baby blue is my favorite color. i go with late 30's but it dose look like it could be late 40's (like miss peelpants said). also wear did you get your shoes, very cute.

Louise said...

Thanks Maggie. The shoes are actually Chloe, from about two seasons ago. A ridiculous extravagance, but I've worn them to death. I call them my Elvis shoes.

Unknown said...

I LOVE YOUR COOL SITE, VERY SHARP SELECTION, FÉLICITATIONS, STÉPHANE OF WWW.LUXE-ET-VANITES.BLOGSPOT.COM NEWS CHAPTERS ON MY BLOG : BETONY VERNON, KRISTAMAS KLOUTSCH, JOEL PETER WITKIN, ARMS AND ARMORY JEWELRY, NYC....DONT HESITATE TO SHARE AND LEAVE A COMMENT IF YOU LIKE...

lauren said...

you guys look great, i have a blue linen dress almost just like that.

and i recognize Ellen's skirt, it took forever for that skirt to arrive in Australia for some odd reason...

Retro Chick said...

That is a gorgeous dress! I would have probably guessed at early 50s.

I think zippers are more common as fasteners post 40s. They were considered a bit too "easy access"!