Friday, July 9, 2010

Mad Anticipation

Mad Men Season 4 is only 2 weeks away from premiering in North America (why oh why do we lag so far behind here in Oz?), and I'm turning a little bit mad with anticipation. The ending of Season 3 had me breathlessly enthralled; there was so much nuance and yet so much happening that I had to watch the last couple of episodes twice.
I've been thoroughly enjoying Tom and Lorenzo's well informed ladies of Mad Men posts where each character's narratives have been broken down outfit by outfit. Now Tom and Lorenzo have put me onto Basket of Kisses which is an all Mad Men all the time blog that can keep die hard fans satisfied between eps.
It is a little bit like an extension of the Mad Men conversations I have with my mates Emma, Sonia and Michael.

The pic above is one of the promo photos for Season 4 - how exciting to see that Jared Harris as Lane Pryce is now a permanent cast member.
Betty, Peggy and Joan are all looking drop dead gorgeous and I decided to waste some Friday evening time looking for outfits I could buy to replicate their 1964 looks.

Betty looks polished in a brocade sheath not dissimilar to this lovely black one from Fab Gabs and also a little reminiscent of the swanky v-neck from Shrimpton Couture.

If you love brocade but can't resist colour, this hot pink number from Penelope Love is very 1960s mod.


I can see elements of this AMAZING 1962 Balenciaga cocktail frock (care of Rare Vintage) in Joan's floral wiggle dress. Everyday fashion is always a couple of years behind haute couture and their is something about the autumnal floral and the unique neckline which is making me see a resemblance.

It was tricky to find a 1960s wiggle dress exactly like Joan's - the off-the-shoulder neckline is gorgeously unique - but these two wonderful frocks from Vintage a la Mode look pretty darn Mad Men to me.

And this gorgeous yellow dress from Timeless Vixen Vintage might be 1950s, but it is so very similar to Peggy's sequin and chiffon number that I couldn't not include it. I guess Peggy - even when dressed well - has always been a few years behind the eight ball.
And as a vintage fashion fan, I can hardly judge her for that.

No comments: