Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Why we still love 1930s frocks ...

The 1930s and 1950s are widely regarded as the most elegant decades of the last century. Where the 1950s was all cinched waists and voluminous skirts, the 1930s was all about thigh skimming fabrics and long and lean silhouettes. Evening wear from the 30s can still look startlingly modern today. Just remember the collective sigh when Keira Knightley appeared on screen in this beautiful green gown in the 30s/40s period film Atonement. The September issue of The Australian Women's Weekly just selected this dress as one of the ten most memorable of all time.

So in celebration of sleek beauty, here are a few genuine 1930s gowns that I can't afford and have no where to wear. But I love to gaze on them regardless, and I like knowing that they are out there.

Torso Vintages/Madison Avenue Couture/Coquette/Torso Vintages/Torso Vintages

4 comments:

Everyday Goddess said...

incredibly beautiful. all of them.

anna and the ring said...

Oh if only I possessed a slightly less bountiful chest.

Swoon.

Louise said...

And oh if I only possessed slightly less bountiful hips.

Francy said...

I agree. The '30s were so elegant! I love the look.