Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dress of the Week: Beautiful in Black

Sofia Coppola's style isn't always my style, but it is definitely great style. She's classic laid-back American style with a twist of European elegance and it probably doesn't hurt that her partner is French (love Phoenix) and she's besties with Marc Jacobs (he has recently named a handbag after her).
Sofia's been plugging her new movie Somewhere in Venice and she looked a treat in this Louis Vuitton dress. I love the illusion neckline and the peep-toe wedges. I'm so over seeing towering and clunky platforms on celebs - they wear them with absolutely everything - so it is nice to see at least one celeb embracing the new less is more shoe edict.

I know Sofia had a massive head-start to her directing career (hello Francis Ford Coppola), but regardless I've loved all her films: The Virgin Suicides was an inspired adaptation of on an amazing book (I loved Jeffrey Eugenides Middlesex even more and wonder when is he going to bring out a new novel); Lost in Translation came out the year I lived in Tokyo, battling a broken heart and crippling loneliness; and Marie Antoinette is quite simply one of the most aesthetically 'wow' films I've seen.
Methinks I'll definitely be checking out Somewhere.

No comments: