Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Duchess

The Valentino exhibition was three rooms of awesomeness; two full with clothes and one devoted to photos and film. It was in the photo gallery that I spotted this image of Linda Evangelista from Vogue Italia (shot by Steven Meisel), which stayed with me not only because Linda is resplendent in Valentino, but also because of the pug dogs (Valentino Garavani lives with six, all with names starting with M) and the location, where Linda is busy doing nothing but entertaining pets and looking fabulous, looks not unlike the Rome quarters of the great designer.

I was motivated enough to look for the rest of the editorial, which was entitled 'The Duchess' and appeared in the magazine a couple of years ago.

I'm not really a fan of Steven Meisel's recent work - his photos of Halle Berry in the September issue of US Vogue are pretty same same - but I'm really digging this editorial. It is highly likely my pug bias is doing the talking though.
I particularly love the photo of Linda in the pillbox hat and long white gown, and the one with all the pug puppies and the amazing hat (is it a Stephen Jones?). I think Linda looks like a cross between Dovima and Countess Jacqueline de Ribes.
Oh, and while we are speaking of gorgeous dogs, here is a photo of my very own Elsie hanging on the beach where my parents live. Cute or what?

2 comments:

Melissa Clark said...

Wow, what gorgeous photos! Thank you for sharing those.

Riley said...

I love pugs and fashion too! I loved the film about Valentino's last collection.