Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Splendor in the Grass

No I'm not talking about the music festival or even the Wordsworth poem that this phrase was taken from, but rather the 1961 Elia Kazan film. I re watched it the other night after an absence of many years and while the heavy handedness of its message does date the film, it is still totally watchable, not least because of Natalie Wood's lovely performance as the heartbroken Deanie Loomis. Splendor in the Grass was also Warren Beatty's first film and while he does look very handsome, Natalie is positively luminous. Here are a few publicity shots from around that era - West Side Story was released in that same year - for you to enjoy.

The film has a great ending, where Deanie and Bud meet up again. Set in the late 1920s and early 30s, around the time of the stock market crash, I love Natalie in this white dress and hat. The perfect outfit to see that first love that dumped you again.




2 comments:

Francy said...

I love this movie! One of my favorites from Natalie.

Audrey said...

She looks so pretty and I love her clothing! :)